 Animation / 546
545  |  547
Subject:
Lego Studios -- how to create Lego films
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:26:51 GMT

Hi,

Lego Studios is done?!?

I would like to be able to make stop-motion animation films of my Legos and was
considering buying the Spielberg MovieMaker set, 1349.  However, the set is
really only available overseas (even then it's still available only sparsely),
and also I've heard negative comments about the camera's quality itself.  Upon
seeing many great films at the animation festival at BrickFest last weekend, I
have a few questions:

1. If you have ever used the Lego Spielberg camera, what do you think of it?
Fuzzy/blurry?  Easy or hard to get clear close-ups?  Light glaring issues?  Are
the editing/publishing tools useful?  Overall, do you recommend it?

2. What do you use to create Lego stop-motion films (hardware and software)?

3. I am considering buying a digital camera (probably 3.x megapixels or higher),
regardless of making Lego movies.  Would it be wise/feasible to use that to take
still photos of Legos (or would I need more megapixels) and possibly composite
them using certain software (e.g. drag 'n drop functionality, etc)?  Note: I've
used various Gif animating programs--obviously not what they're intended
for--and have also briefly tried Windows Movie Maker on Windows XP Pro, but the
frame rate can only go up to about 8 fps.  Additionally, I've tried to
photograph minifigs with a <1 mp Kodak digital camera (very low-end)--no luck,
of course.

4. How would I add a sound track to the visual element?

As you can see, I'm very new to all of this.  Any comments or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time!

Andrew DeYoung
(Yes, I'm using my brother Henry’s account--with his express consent.)
(And, yes, I will get my own account soon.)