 Animation / 432
Re: Beware - Divx codec is Adware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:26:15 GMT

Hello people,

One needs to be cautious indeed about this, but things are not as dark as
they appear. When you start your download from the DivX website, it clearly
gives you the choice between 3 versions: DivX Free - This one has no AdWare,
can play all DivX-encoded films but lacks some encoding options to create
your own films. This is the one you'll want to download, it's what I use for
my films, as do all other BrickFilms forum members who encode in DivX.
DivX Pro Free (AdWare) - This is the dangerous one. It gives you more
control over encoding (if you want to spend time understanding all these
options), but comes with the AdWare. This must be the version James
downloaded.
DivX Pro $30 - This is a safe version, but not free.

I hope this clears things up. To be complete, the DivX website is
http://www.divx.com/. Now go and see these films, there are some great ones
out there!

And for the record: from which website did you download it?

Stefan.

---
YellowHead Studios. Where LEGO comes to life!
http://www.yellowhead.8m.com/