 Animation / 431
Re: Beware - Divx codec is Adware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:58:15 GMT

Ouch, thanks for the info James.  I definitely won't download it.  If you
find a DivX codec without adware in it, please post the link here.

-Tim

In lugnet.publish.cinema, James Wilson writes:
I downloaded a couple of movies from links at the Brickfilms directory last
week, and they required me to install a Divx codec to view.  One film had a
link to a codec, so I downloaded it...   Later on, after I had hung up my
modem, I got a message that a program was trying to access the Internet to
reach Gator.com, and did I want to let it dial-up.   After some
investigating, I traced the problem to the Divx codec that I had downloaded.
A quick run of AdAware and the problem was gone.

Just a reminder to beware of any software of uncertain origin.  And read the
license - it's in there that this codec is "free" and supported by ads.  So
now I'm trying to find a "really free" divx codec...

James Wilson
Dallas TX