 Animation / 383
Re: Real Media?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:08:20 GMT

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message
news:GpBJoC.8I6@lugnet.com...
Hey Y'all:

I am looking for beginner advice on creating Real Media files that will • play
in RealPlayer.  I don't care if it streams or not, I just want to make a
usable file.

What software is available for this purpose?  Are there any tricks or
special techniques that should be used routinely? Any misc. info. I should
know?

Are you sure you want to go with Real Media? I'm one of a growing number of
my friends and colleagues who does everything possible *not* to install
RealPlayer due to the suspect data gathering that has been reported a number
of times, and the general hassle I have with player messing up my file
associations from time to time. The less rubbish I have installed the
better, and I prefer to load a player like Windows Media or Quick Time only
when needed instead of having something running all the time eating
resources.

I spent a bit of time last week trying to find tools to convert from Real to
other formats and after the usual "can't do it" messages on the Real site I
found Tinra (http://members.infomak.com/tinra/) which can convert Real to
uncompressed AVI. It has limitations and does require RealPlayer to be
installed, but I can leave it unloaded so saving resources. Then along with
VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) I managed to compress using the DivX
encoder and get an AVI about the same size as the Real file, and most of my
friends are happy installed the DivX codecs.

If you still want to create a Real video then try
http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/basic.html for RealSystem
Producer Basic - free download, although it's features are limited. Real
also offer the RealSystem Producer Plus but it's $199.

Dan