 Animation / 147
Re: New LEGO Toys Based on Jurassic Park III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:38:48 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Jonathan Lill writes:

On a side note I wonder what determines the timing of these press releases.
A three month lead time for this one and a year lead for Harry Potter.

In the case of Harry Potter, the brand-empowering prestige of having gotten the
licence is leveraged ASAP.

It wasn't hyped to consumers yet because that could have hurt holiday 2000
sales, plus a whole year wait was too much for consumers. From the journals I've
read, it's said that the toy companies who were granted licences saved up their
Harry Potter fire-power advertising for late summer of 2001. (for Nov-Dec 2001
sales) So that's about 3-mos wait from consumer point of view. Right now LEGO
wants to get buyers signed on. LEGO has had time since getting the licence to
make some mock-ups.

The NY Toy Fair is another release time determinator. There, manufacturers show
off mid-year-release merchandise and previews their upcomming Holiday season
stuff. All the buyers (for retailers) and press walk around trying to guess what
the "hot toy" will be for next holiday-shopping consumers.

-Suz