 Adventurers / 773
772  |  774
Subject:
5909 biplane modifications - need help with slanted struts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 01:15:49 GMT

About 1.5 years ago, Mindstorms brought me out of my dark age. My first non-
Mindstorms creation was my two-seater modifications to the 5909 biplane.
See <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=305> for the pictures.

As you can see from the pictures, I was trying to stage that gruesome scene
from the English Patient. However, without the video tape of the movie at
hand, I am not sure my biplane is how authentic to the movie. (In the second
picture, the biplane is supposed to be on its final dive. Hmmm... Perhaps I
should add a lot more flames to it.)

To be authentic to the movie, maybe I should put a female mini-fig with a
mummy head in the front seat, instead of a skeleton. However, with a normal
mini-fig torse, I could not get that dead-body-dangling effect.

Here is a problem I still don't know how to solve: As you can see, there is a
one-stud offset between the upper wing and the lower wing. The current
interplane struts are quite ugly, because I don't know how to make them
slanted.

6615 Eagle Stunt Flyer cleverly uses the vertical tail fins as its slanted
wing struts. (See <http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6615/6615-07.html>.)
However, while they look great on a Golden Age biplane, they look quite out of
place on a WW-I surplus plane.

The part <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/4476.gif> could be
an excellent slanted wing strut, but it is a bit too large.

I tried some hinge-based solutions, but could not get it right.

I am almost tempted in cutting the Technic flex tubes to the right lengths and
inserting them between the wings. This is cheating.

Help!

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang