 Adventurers / 490
Re: 4x2ReVu: 5925 Pontoon Plane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:34:38 GMT

I still intend to get this one.  I'm a sucker for those leather helmets and
goggles.  Of course, I'll wait until it goes on sale (but then, I *always* do
that).  Thanks for the review, I enjoy them as always.

Bruce

In lugnet.reviews, Joseph Gonzalez writes:
Competition between the Chaffos and Masterson explorer companies has always
been volatile but it's only recently turned lethal.  This morning Jeremy
Masterson is on a  recon mission to an out-of-the-way tributary.  Rumors
suggest that there are ruins of an ancient observatory there but Jeremy may
never make it to find out.  Unknown to him, there are four sticks of dynamite
beneath a blanket in the storage bin directly behind his pilot seat.  The
dynamite is rigged to a timer and that timer is on its last two minutes!

I enjoyed the previous years Adventurer's plane set (5928 Bi-wing Baron) so
much that when a second plane came out at a dollar less, it was a no-brain
decision to pick one up.  This set gives us a goodguy plane that fits in well
with the new "amazon' atmosphere.
The 5925 is another biwing model in dark grown and grey tones.  This is
specially equipped with pontoons for river landings (how else you gonna land • in
the middle of the jungle?).  The cockpit is pretty cramped but there is a
storage nook just behind the pilot's seat for very small items like a pistol,
binocs, or a TNT tile.  There are also clips on the upper wings to hold extra
equipment (pick or shovel).
The model's biggest drawback is its overly simplified design.  The pontoons
don't extend from the plane at all but rest right on the bottom of the wings
(half of the plane will be submerged before buoyancy kicks in).  Also, the
lower wings seem to be placed well but the upper ones are set way too low,
practically resting on top of the fuselage.  The only saving grace of the set
lies in its inclusion of brown and tan pieces (even then, those are mostly
sloping fuselage pieces with just a couple of standard bricks) and the pilot
minifig. Surprisingly, an alternate model speedboat pictured at the end of the
instructions is a better model than the principal one!
If this is your very first Lego airplane you'll probably enjoy it because it • is
kind of cute in its own way, but it pales in comparison to most any other
airplane model.

!!!4x2ReVu Stats!!!
Rating: Two out of eight studs.
Thumbs down on: A terrible plane model.
Wallet-Wise: $6.00 approximate U.S. retail for 71 pieces.
Date:  11/1/1999