 Adventurers / 317
316  |  318
Subject:
4x2ReVu: 5938 Oasis Ambush
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:54:40 GMT

The desert sun is setting quickly on the Pedestal of Anubis dig site.  But
Matthias Snidely continues to work feverishly in the half-light of dusk on what
he is certain is the opening mechanism to the crypt.  Workers have long since
retired to their tents and perhaps that is for the better because they would
only be clamoring about the need for a protection ceremony before opening the
chamber.  Leverage is gained from a nearby spear and with a wince and all of
Matthias' effort, the mechanism is loosed.  The chamber lid creaks and opens
with a strange, howling sound and Matthias sees an odd, blue, glowing mist seep
out of the slender opening.
"Ah," he grins to himself, "already my treasure glitters, even in
near-darkness!"

This set was actually given to me by a friend.  At the time I had already
picked up a medium size and two smaller Adventurer sets so I might have passed
this one up but I'm quite glad I got it.
The 5938 is a simple set of a crypt-like structure with a reclining black
jackal on top and a very short palm tree to one side.  A spear inserted into a
rotating block stands in front of the crypt and is so rigged that as the spear
is pushed down the crypt lid opens.  Sharp-eyed adventurers will also note that
the jackal's body is actually a black treasure chest.
Figures in this set include the standard Adventurer dude, the black hat bad guy
and a skeleton with a yellow, pharaoh headdress.  Their accessories include a
pistol, rifle, spear, gold pieces, chain, map and a black scorpion.
There aren't a lot of unique pieces here but all of those included go directly
to the design of the crypt and they define it quite well. (I don't know that
there are a lot of alternate possibilities).  A useful pointer, though, is that
the tan 1x4x3 panels used on the sides of the crypt are NOT preprinted but
rather come with optional stickers.
I really like this set.  It's the kind of model that looks good on a desk at
work whether you are a fan of Lego or Egyptian archaeology.  Kids will also
love it for the hinged-lid box the crypt makes, plus it adds to any other
Adventurer set (large or small).

!!!4x2ReVu Stats!!!
Rating: Five out of eight studs
Thumbs up for: An inexpensive but realistic-looking model.
Wallet-Wise: Approximately $8.00 for 76 pieces.
Date: 11/1/1999