 Adventurers / 1679
Re: My Adventurers ISCC entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:10:15 GMT

Thanks for the detailed answer.

On a related note, how do you light your Brick Testament scenes?  The lighting
always looks so perfect.

I think I was surprised as anyone when I saw how well the first set of Brick
Testament photos came out.  I had taken the occasional lucky great photo
back when I used a film cameras, but I was new to the world of digital
cameras when I started the project.  The first story I shot was The Garden
of Eden, and for that one, I actually took the whole garden out onto my
porch to capture it in natural sunlight.  But moving whole sets outdoors
quickly proved infeasible, so everything else I've done for tBT since then
has been indoors.

Looking back, although natural sunlight captures colors very well and casts
some excellent dramatic shadows, it can also light things too harshly.
Nowadays I have a work area that gets a good amount of sunlight through
nearby some windows during the day, but then again I'm more likely to stay
up all night photographing stuff, so most of my recent work has been done
with purely artificial lighting.  I wish I could say I had some great secret
to pass on about lighting stuff, but I really don't.  My work area is lit
from above by a couple of spotlights (regular track lighting type lights,
nothing special) about ten feet above me, and a regular old halogen lamp off
to the side.

Beyond this, I can only guess that what is accounts for the general quality
of the images on tBT is that 1) I take tons of photos and only choose from
the best, 2) I've got a nice camera (Nikon Coolpix 950) that can focus on
things extremely close to the lens, 3) I do a fair amount of tweaking to the
images to enhance brightness, contrast, saturation, etc., and finally 4)
this project has been officially blessed by the man upstairs.  @8^)

-Rev. Smith