 Adventurers / 1678
Re: My Adventurers ISCC entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 04:30:19 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Brendan Powell Smith writes:
Hi, Gary.

I've been away from LUGNET for a few days, so I'm a little late in posting,
but wow!  Congratulations on a wonderfully detailed and well-told story.  I
was a big fan of your Temple of Catur Muka last year, and was very glad to
see you enter a new story in this year's ISCC.

I have to say, when I looked at that first photo of the story, it took me a
minute to figure out that this wasn't a rendered Ldraw scene.  Everything is
so bright, clean, and crisply focused.  Great camera work throughout.

I'm curious about scenes like the one with the vehicles racing across the
desert.  Was it laborious to replace the actual background of that photo
with the desert scene?  And how did you do that and still retain the vehicle
shadows?  Just curious.

Excellent job!

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the nice comments.

To do the vehicle scene, I bought a large sheet of fluorescent pink/magenta art
paper and photographed the models on it (and also making sure the paper was
evenly lit).  I also used a polarizing filter to reduce pink reflections on the
models.

In Photoshop, I used the selection wand (with low tolerance) to select all the
non-shadow areas of the paper and antialiased the selection slightly.  Then I
inverted the selection and pasted the models (and shadow areas of the paper) as
a new layer.  After pasting the desert scene below this new layer, I adjusted
the hue and saturation of the pink/magenta band to match the color of the
desert.  If you look carefully, you'll see there's no desert details in the
shadows.

It's not perfect, but I was running low on time (I submitted the entry 15
minutes before the deadline :)).

On a related note, how do you light your Brick Testament scenes?  The lighting
always looks so perfect.

  Take care,

  Gary