 Adventurers / 1100
Re: Does anyone have a review of 5987 Dino Research Compound?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:34:58 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Bradley Dale writes:
I'd really like ot hear form someone who actually has this.  It appears to • have
many pros and cons, but overall seems worth getting.  Judging from the catalog
pictures-
Pros: Four dinosaurs, the car, white spider?, capture nets (I don't have these
yet), lots of brown bricks, neat box ride, good playability
Cons: Weird plane- two pilots? (please explain this to me!), building looks
kind of ugly (but probably just a bad photo- big sets always look cooler in
real life), oddly-placed BURP, lab doesn't look nearly "fully equipped".
So, what do its owners say?  Good set?

Good set. I bought one way back in the spring from S@H, and just bought two
more during K-Mart's BOGO 50% off sale. One thing which may not be totaly
obvious - those 2x2x3 brown columns are NOT one piece, they are 3 brown 2x2
bricks. Check out this auction that I won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=427231523

It is most (all? haven't compared to the actual set) of the brown parts from
5987.

The pop open roof with the searchlight is a nice feature, and those roof parts
are quite nice. It's true that the lab is somewhat sparse, and rather "airy"
(but then, open buildings are common in hot climates), but it really is a nice
set.

I actually kind of like the airplane. Sure it's a little funny looking, but
it's a fresh design. It has a net dropper on the bottom. The lab also has a
netapult (but the All Terrain Trapper has absolutely the best "action" feature
of the series - the netapult which is fired by ramming the target). It's also
nifty getting that Belville base brick in standard green (too bad the small
section across the river isn't the quarter circle piece which fills out the
square of the larger base brick). The zip line is sort of neat and almost
works (actually, it's supposed to be a tram like thing, the base has machinery
to run the tram). The little crane is kind of nice also (both of these pieces
of machinery are detailed with guages and controlls).

They certainly didn't need the BURP (which is the only BURP of the Dino Island
series). I guess they felt that the set needed more stuff to build terrain
with. This is the only structure in the Dino Island series, and in general,
there is somewhat less non-vehicle stuff, on the other hand, this series may
have the best set of vehicles, and only two adventurers car cockpits, though
that is the same as the Amazon series. The big difference is that none of the
vehicles look like the 5 vehicles between the Egyptian and Amazon sets which
were almost the same (with the big Egyptian set being the only one with a
significantly different looking vehicle using the car cockpit).

Frank