 Administrative / Terms of Use / 436
Re: Would I be incorrect?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Frank Filz writes:

Hmm, this is one of the things which needs to be clarified. Recent
direction has suggested that all buy/sell/trade/auction traffic occur in
the market groups (and org groups as specifically allowed by charter).

I went looking for discussion on market activity in
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands but I didn't find much. I seem to remember
discussion early in the life of l.o-t.c-b that clone market traffic did
belong in market not in o-t.

I need to make another try at suggesting new market policies, I think
the last try got hung up in Suz's wedding preparations.

Frank

I am not in disagreement with what you say Frank.  I had to do a bit of
thinking and reading group charters before I offered my suggestion.
Personally, if I were trying to sell something I would not want the
announcement lost in Off-Topic because those messages are blocked from viewing
via the web by default on the main news page.  Also, I am sure that o-t has
small readership except for people specifically interested in clone bricks
(only 24 messages so far this month).

The markeplace groups have enjoyed several months of very calm waters.  My
suggestion was aimed at maintaining this while still giving exposure to
Scott R's message.  It makes sense to keep marketplace traffic inside its
boundaries but in the case of clones, some readers do not like to see anything
non-Lego in much the same way that some people have strong aversion to auction
announcements.  I think the plan I suggested and that Scott followed was the
best course of action at this time.

Some changes to marketplace charters may be in order and I willing to work with
any changes that will keep readers happy.  Hopefully any changes that we make
will be for the better and not cause strife.  I am satisfied with the status
quo at this time and do not have any ideas for specific modifications that are
needed.  I may have to go back and read .admin messages to see what exactly has
been proposed by users and the stance of Lugnet Admins regarding any changes
that are deemed necessary.

As curator for the makeplace groups, I operate with a very hands-off policy
that allows any user to correct others regarding inappropriate messages and
such.  This system seem to work well and I can sit back do little or nothing.
Many regular readers may not even know that I am curator for these groups.  It
doesn't have to be this way; I can take a more active role as needed but no one
has advocated or suggested this AFAIK.  If and when .market needs a policeman I
am ready for the job and can bring a big stick along.

Frank, if you or anyone else has specific ideas and suggestions for changes to
any of the marketplace group I am willing to listen and will help implement
where I can.  I am not an idea man myself and maybe I am not seeing existing
problems as such.

__Kevin Salm__
curator, Lugnet marketplace newsgroups