 Administrative / Suggestions / 994
Re: Geobra Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:34:51 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Tim Courtney wrote:
   Looks like there are some who want to make this a place where only one type of opinion is respected.

Sad. And, may I mention, bad for the community?

-Tim

I don’t think so. Someone wishing that one set of voices be silenced (or that they “shut their ignorant piehole”) doesn’t mean that it’s going to happen. Them saying so gives the community a chance to respond and determine its stance on the issue, whether for or against. I would say it was bad for the community if it didn’t generate, evaluate, and form responses to extreme opinions and offensive behavior.

Is there anything wrong with Alfred being “disappointed to find out what side of the issue you’re on?” My opinion is that it’d be bad for the community if him expressing that disappointment wasn’t allowed.

I personally find many of the posts in this thread (on either side of the issue) to be unbelievably myopic, and several (on one side in particular) to be completely ridiculous. But I haven’t seen any that I think are “bad for the community.” In fact I think this type of frank and open discussion is vital to a community’s health.

And who can say? Maybe there are some issues where only one type of opinion *should* be respected. If someone asks to start newsgroups for “lugnet.fun.child-molesting” or “lugnet.build.bludgeons-for-beating-jews-to-death,” then those issues each have one side that deserve zero respect. And those are equivalent to how the most vocal posters view the Lavendar issue: it’s either about inexcusable perversion on the one side, or it’s about inexcusable dehumanization on the other. Having no respect for the opposing position is completely valid under those points of view, and people should be allowed to express that, whether or not their point of view is justified in this or any other particular instance.