 Administrative / Suggestions / 926
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:19:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.people, Kevin Wilson wrote:
In lugnet.people, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I guess I personally am in the camp that doesn't see why people
would *want* this group. Personally, it seems marginalising.

But I do not think that my view *matters*.

Thank you Larry.

My mind is boggling at the number of people who are posting what boils down to:

"I don't understand why it should exist, so it shouldn't"

It is quite usual when there is a small group within a majority group, for
members of the larger group not to understand why the members of the small group
want or need their own space (in this case: newsgroup). That's why it's not a
good idea to allow the majority to decide whether the smaller group should be
allowed to have that space or not.

Kevin

Well I *know* my view doesn't matter here (right Lar?) but my mind is boggling
too, so I'll post my opinion that it's a great idea.

I mean, if you look at local groups for instance-- they are composed of AFOL's
who have the common characteristic of living in a certain locale.  To me it
seems an analogous thing.  Mostly what they post in those groups is only of
peripheral relevance to the rest of us (like the best places to hold meetings).
But the primary emphasis is still LEGO.  So what's the problem with that?

I look forward to seeing a lavender group and I hope it will be as entertaining
enough to lurk in as the Toronto group!  :D

Maggie C.