 Administrative / Suggestions / 576
Re: Which HTML to use?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:22:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Jeremy Scott writes:
I'll agree.  I will also add that with CSS in use, the server speed will
become much faster

If by "much faster" you mean a ten-millionth of a second quicker per page
display, then you're correct.  :-)

since the cgi program won't have to generate all the long
code in HTML, just a short tag defining the class.

Actually, the server doesn't have to generate the HTML on a tag-by-tag
basis...it's more efficient than that.  The difference in time to output

   <FONT SIZE="-1"><BIG><BIG><B>foo</B></BIG></BIG></FONT>

versus

   <FONT SIZE="+2"><B>foo</B></FONT>

or

   <FONT CLASS="glarb">foo</FONT>

is essentially the time it takes for the CPU to copy a few extra characters
around in memory (far, far less than a microsecond) and output them over the
TCP/IP connection (also negligable).

The big win that CSS gives (from the server's standpoint) is reducing the
outgoing bandwidth.  And that's good for users, too, of course.  :-)

Let the CSS do all the rest.

I agree, CSS is the way to go.  But there will always need to be *some*
basic old-fashioned HTML in there for really old browsers.  You wouldn't
believe the number of old browsers still in use at libraries and schools.  I
don't know how many are used to view LUGNET, but we'll have to examine that
sort of thing out carefully before just abandoning old-fashioned HTML.

--Todd