 Administrative / Suggestions / 575
Re: Which HTML to use?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:14:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Constantine Hannaher writes:
[...] Is it really necessary to do this by a font size of -1, two BIG
tags and a B tag?

No.  But adding the two <BIG></BIG> tags was a very simple and
straightforward changepoint in some code that spits out <FONT
SIZE="-1"><B>...foo...</B></FONT> to display the header information.  If you
look at other headers in that block, you'll probably see a few other
suboptimal encodings.

My overall point is, why stick with HTML 3.2?

We'd like to begin migrating to CSS as soon as it makes the most sense to do
so.  Since we want the site to be viewable on as many browsers as possible,
including really old browsers, we have to keep that in mind.

When we first looked as CSS four years ago, it was in really sorry shape --
not even an option back then.  When we looked at it a year and a half ago
and did some experiments with the homepage, there were still some major
disappointments with the way different browsers handled rendering font
sizes.  Hopefully the situation has changed since then.  We'll take a look
at it again this summer.

One thing we'd like to do down the road is allow a person to create and
point to their own style sheet (.css file) for ultra-customization.

Certainly a top-to-bottom redesign in XHTML 1.x and CSS may be a
daunting prospect, but incremental changes which reinforce old coding
practices are the wrong direction (er, in my opinion).

I think the "old coding practices" of HTML 3.2 and 4.01 are still perfectly
valid -- they're just less efficient (in terms of bandwidth) and less
flexible (in terms of options) than CSS.

--Todd