 Administrative / Suggestions / 1581
Re: Canadian Members by Province/Territory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:48:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Jean-Marc Détraz wrote:
It would be useful to be able to locate members by province.  Perhaps you
could send an e-mail to all Canadian members asking them to identify their
province (like it is on Bricklink) - or perhaps you already have this
information?

The information is sorta there. Sorta. Lugnet collects addresses of its members
because Lugnet was always very interested in validating people's identities.
When it was founded, Lugnet was against the idea of anonymous signins, so when
it came to memberships, physical address was important in the validation
process.

However, the physical address is a single field in the database, from which it
may be difficult to extract characteristics like "province". It does have
information for country and US states (which aren't presently alterable by
members).

Probably need to add more information to the "state" list to allow provinces,
etc for other countries like Canada and Australia. And given that that
information is optional, if anyone is uncomfortable disclosing their address,
they can always opt not to put it in.

There are a number of things that would be cool to do with the member pages
(like make them on seperate pages!). Do searches on members who entered "castle"
in their profile, members who live in your area, or look for members who have
webpages specified. Hm. Now I'm intregued. I think it should be fairly easy, but
then again I've only looked at the member listing page code once, so I won't
swear to that!

DaveE