 Administrative / Suggestions / 127
Re: NNTP 'From' field and real-life names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:26:07 GMT

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Cary Clark wrote:

Suggestion: Use the real life name when composing the 'From' field, for
e-mail and NNTP news-readers.

<snip>

But there isn't an option to choose the X-Real-Life-Name field to be
displayed in the message (at least in Outlook Express).

I concur.

Although in Pine it's relatively easy to change the headers I view by
default, it never even occurred to me to try until just now. . .and I
think I'm very rare (around Purdue, anyway) in knowing anything about
configuring my client.  Many a time I've wondered "who on Earth is *that*"
for a few seconds before remebering that I could turn on rich headers[1].

Cary's proposal might be particularly useful since lots of people seem to
be using screen names, which might be contrary to the spirit of the ToS

4. (do not) Post using a pseudonym, alias, screen-name,
handle, alter-ego, meno, or any other type of name which
is not your own or which hides your true identity, unless
your real name and identity is clearly understood, accepted,
and documented by the community as the true identity behind
such messages.

The display of real-life names in the Web interface gets around this. .
.but, as Cary observes, these real-life names are not obvious to NNTP
readers.

TWS Garrison
tgarriso@math.purdue.edu
   http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/