 Administrative / Suggestions / 1078
Re: Request for .vignette group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:41:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
Dear LUGNET Admin,

I would like to formally request (suggest) that a newsgroup (.moc.vignette or
something similar) be created.

Wouldn't that be classic-castle.com?  :P  Just kidding.

I feel a little paternal to this recent fad on English.  I had noticed that
three Japanese builders had built similar MOCs and mentioned it in a thread on
classic-castle:
http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2552
and subsequently built some.  Other classic-castlers made ones of their own, and
with announcing these MOCs here and on FBTB the idea spread.  Now I've seen
similar creations on Brickshelf by builders that I did not recognize, so maybe
they are just seeing them on Brickshelf.  I'm taking over the world, I tell you.
Mwahahahaahahahaa!

That said, I don't know if there is enough long-term interest for a
.build.vignette group yet, as Lar said.  It might be a bit like a hypothetical
.space.pods group--a lot of building for a short time, but then nothing.  There
are other longer-term fan themes, though, that also don't have their own groups
(e.g. there is no .space.moonbase).  One argument in favor of a vignette (don't
you dare call it a Storyteller!) group is that these are cross-theme.  So far
I've made ones that I posted to .castle, .build.microscale, and .town.  OTOH,
these were all originally posted to .announce.moc, so the example of an aquazone
creation going unnoticed probably doesn't apply.  Presumably most Lugnetters
peruse .announce.moc in addition to their own pet themes.*

Anyway, that's a lot of blather to say that I think this is a potentially good
idea, but not one that requires any immediate action (IMO of course) until we
see whether this is a fad or a long-lived fan theme.

Bruce

*I'd be interested.  Lar, is there any way to track how many times a particular
group is viewed, as opposed to the number of posts?