 Administrative / NNTP / 993
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:24:22 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:

No, it's actually quite clear. As in the example above. ("I" am saying that
YOU wrote the stuff that is marked with ">" symbols and YOU are saying that
TOM wrote the stuff that is marked with ">>"  symbols.)

If you doubt me, you may want to do some research into RFCs.

I did better than that. I just opened up my newsreader and took a look.

Well I'll be ding dong danged.

I must have been mentally correcting it all these years, 'cause I sure
wouldn't have expected it to look that way.

I would. The quote marks indicate the stuff the quotee wrote. Think
about the use of quotes in normal text, you write: Tom said: "Let's
play." not "Tom said: Let's play". If you are quoting a passage from a
book or something you do this:

      When quotations of an entire line, or more
   of either verse or prose are to be distinguished
   typographically from text matter, as are the
   quotations in this book, begin on a fresh line
   and indent. Quotation marks should not be used
   unless they appear in the original, as in dialogue.

(from Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style").

Frank