 Administrative / NNTP / 884
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:26:16 GMT

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 05:16:38PM +0000, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
I also noticed that I just sent 2 post - and got 2 mails - but I just
clicked them without checking them for being my messages [bus still I sent 2
messages and got 2 answer - must be correct]
So these kind of check will still fail now and them.

but since you just sent two posts, you expected to get to auth messages... if
you get one tomorrow morning, you'll probably be curious to see why...

also, true, some people will automatically reply to auth messages
sometimes... but if it's not consistent, then a malicious spoofer can't
know that they do that, and cannot rely on them to authorize his posts...

does that make sense?

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:8094_1>:  Technic Control Center (LEGO/TECHNIC), '90, 554 pcs