 Administrative / NNTP / 806 (-10)
  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Just got the authenticates for those. None of those are the ones which didn't make it. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Wouldn't that allow a determined spoofer to wait till it was obvious that someone known to be a member was logged in (say if he saw a flurry of posts from you in .pirate within a few min of each other) and then spoof as you, at least as long (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Wouldn't that allow a determined spoofer to wait till it was obvious that someone known to be a member was logged in (say if he saw a flurry of posts from you in .pirate within a few min of each other) and then spoof as you, at least as long (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) I think you're right -- something is broken. I'm sure it's entirely fixable. I'll enable more logging and get to the bottom of it. Likely, it's something broken in the code I just added. It's extremely rare (as far as I'm aware) that (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) I think so too. I see three live messages from you and none in the pending area. Digging... (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Maybe... maybe it will engender a switch in posting source distribution to favor web more... And I suppose no one that is a fan of SMTP or NNTP wants to hear this.. but the impact to me while I am on my personal machine has been exactly zero. (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

Hi Todd, I understand the reasons for doing this, but unfortunately, I used a newsreader to check LUGNet. Now if I want to post, I'll have to go to my browser, look up the newsgroup, find the message I want to respond to, and then post. Needless to (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

Well, I understand the problem, but also see another one with this. For people personally paying for their bandwith it will just be even more expensive. I tested only one message now, but how about checking several messages at once? Or a better (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting (test reply)

(...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

Thanks Todd, I just tried a test message and it worked flawlessly. I'm glad that you came up with a solution quickly. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact