 Administrative / NNTP / 686
Re: Open Source Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:05:06 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
Here's my summary of the views expressed above:

LUGNET has been established by fans, for fans. Postings by TLC employees, as
representatives of TLC/LEGO Direct, don't belong in the regular newsgroups,
as their contributions:

(a) are part of a marketing strategy, not fan-fan dialogue. Such postings
make LUGNET a tool for TLC, when it is supposed to be a place for LEGO fans;
(b) come from a place that is permanently and necessarily beyond the AFOL
community;
(c) represent the 100% Official LEGO Position, which is expressed in LEGO
Direct announcements, something like highly customised press releases (eg
"The LEGO company announced that as of today bulk packs of brown bricks are
available from Shop at Home...").

That sounds about right to me.

I have a slightly different opinion. Not everything we might hear from TLC
is marketing.

Whoops, wait...I need to interject something:  I agree with you that not
everything we might hear from TLC is marketing.  However, it's all part of
the _marketing strategy_, including the fact that AFOLs were hired by LEGO
Direct and that LEGO Direct showed up here at all. [... snipped]

In the same way that operating a Customer Service Department or releasing
new desirable products is part of a marketing strategy, right? So if you
read "pure" non-spin information from a TLC employee, while it might not be
"marketing" per se, the act of posting it here on LUGNET as TLC gospel is
part of the "marketing strategy". Is that right?

I look forward to a time when TLC realises it can use our brains as well as
our money.

I agree, and I'm sure TLC has realized that.  Brad Justus gets it.  He
understands it well and he has said that he has worked hard over the past 18
months since LEGO hired him to drive that point home to upper management.

However, let's not lose sight of the fact that the reason they'd want to use
our brains as well is our money is to make more money.  (Not that there's
anything wrong with that.)

When proposed themes, products and even company strategies are
actually discussed with fans, and fans' ideas and creations have an impact
on what TLC produces. I think we're already seeing slow steps in this
direction, particularly in Trains. I think there's room on LUGNET for spaces
where fans and TLC can build new ideas together. If TLC chooses to do this
through Summits with the cream of the AFOL crop, that's their prerogative: I
guess I'd like to see something a bit more democratic, especially when the
online forum would cost TLC nothing. I'd also rather take part in such a
forum on LUGNET, where I feel like part of the fan community, rather than on
lego.com, where I would feel much more constrained in the contributions I
could make.

By looking at the R&D aspects of TLC's business I think we break out of the
concept of the company as a krone-driven vending machine with a single
public face. If we can integrate our creativity and enthusiasm with the
company's experience and resources, who loses? A deeper symbiosis between
the LEGO community and the LEGO corporation could benefit us all, but it's
up to both parties to make it happen.

Well said, Dave.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to more news in the year ahead!

I'm interested in how LUGNET users can help improve this relationship, and
I'm concerned about ways that the lugnet.lego restriction could distort
information flow.

The point that John Hansen makes here
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=678
is fairly strong IMO, particularly the following comment:

Can you imagine Brad Justus making
official statements from a yahoo.com mail account?

My imagination is apparently bigger than you imagine.  Sure.  To me, content
is everything.  If the message contains an official statement it is official
whether it is written on toilet paper or official Lego stationary.  Content
totally trumps conveyance.

I think the recently imposed restriction _could_ lead to an increase in
semi-official information posted by TLC employees under their AFOL
identities, which seems fairly undesirable to me.

Thomas Garrison outlines the cross-posting mess here:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=683
I think running parallel threads in .lugnet.lego.direct and .lunet.favetheme
would really hinder dialogue. Would restricting all threads to ..direct make
too much clutter there? ..direct.favetheme would be an unfortunate
duplication IMHO.

I'm also unconvinced by some of what you say here:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=679
focusing on:
Targeted droplets of official information taste good but aren't what give the
community its strength.
Agreed. But does this really mean that they don't belong in the community
forum at all?

I don't have any programming skills, so I don't know if this is possible,
but anyway here goes. Could you set up the .lego.com address filter so that
if a non-lego.com address cross-posts between .lego.direct and .favetheme,
with follow up to .favetheme, a lego.com address can reply to .favetheme
within the thread? Or would that undermine what you're trying to achieve
with the new restrictions?

--DaveL