 Administrative / NNTP / 629
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 19:39:54 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

This is important, yes, and we should talk about options that best enable
dissemination by LEGO of such information.  I would not be opposed to
deleting the lugnet.announce.lsahs group and moving its content to
lugnet.lego.announce or some new group, say, lugnet.lego.shop.announce,
and combine things a bit.

I'd recommend lugnet.lego.shop.announce (or just lugnet.lego.shop -
though that might invite discussion about LEGO shopping avenues.

Hmm, I just had an idea. Set one or more lugnet.lego.xyz.announce
groups, which only TLC can post to. Then have a sister lugnet.lego.xyz
group where anyone can post. To make it a little easier on the TLC
employees, automatically cross-post lugnet.lego.xyz.announce postings to
lugnet.lego.xyz, and set follow-ups there.

I like the format of lugnet.lego.foo only for official postings, with automagic
duplication into lugnet.lego.foo.d (iscussion) because I think it is more clear
than anything else would be.  But then you have a .lego.* group that we're al
posting to and I don't know if that's what you/we want.  I'm not sure that I
have the big picture of how these posting privs are working yet, but I do think
it's important to foster dialog between us and TLC, not just give them a way to
announce stuff.

The lugnet.lego.foo for official posts and lugnet.lego.foo.d for
discussion format doesn't work naturally with Lugnet. The reason is how
groups are coalesced in the web view. I think it is valuable that it be
easy to see just the official posts, which is most easily done by having
the "official" group be under the "open" group.

Of course it probably wouldn't be too much work for Todd to reverse the
normal way of coalescing groups if lugnet.x.y and lugnet.x.y.d both
exist.

Frank

p.s. I just had to stop this post before spell check was done -
apparently I managed to spell coalesce correctly... (remember, I are an
enginere and I can spel gud and nevah make misteaks...)