 Administrative / NNTP / 574
573  |  575
Subject:
I understand, but can we make it better?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:29:33 GMT

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Todd Lehman (<3ab2f0a6.152546955@lugnet.com>) wrote
at 05:06:00

In lugnet.admin.nntp, James Brown writes:
If I was working for LEGO, regardless of my AFOLness, I think I would be
fairly offended, if for no other reason than *I wasn't told* that this would
happen.

Given the suddenness of it, I think I might be too and, actually, I wrote
Brad Justus a personal apology for not having given him and his people a
heads-up.

The severe nature of the original post certainly took me aback, and I
think that's part of what has fuelled this debate. I started off in the
'this is a Very Bad Thing' camp, but having read through the whole
thread, I can see where you're coming from. In fact, I can see that the
segregation of lego.com posts will be a Good Thing in the future, when
looking back at archive material.

But the implementation does look a bit rushed.

As an addition , would it be possible to allow posts from lego.com
addresses in all groups, but reject them if they didn't have followups
set to another, dedicated group, say lugnet.lego.followups? This would
satisfy most of the requirements of most of the people who've expressed
views. Most lego.com posts appear in the .lego.* hierarchy, but they are
allowed to answer queries in *any* group, and followups are threaded
correctly back into .lego.* .

I know the followup checking thing is done for .announce, and what has
just been implemented is checking for lego.com addresses, so this must
be feasible.

As for marketing posts, surely the normal TOS apply. Posting privileges
of offenders have been withheld in the past.

--
Tony Priestman