 Administrative / NNTP / 537
536  |  538
Subject:
My Point Of View !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:41:23 GMT

I totally disagree.  That post has no place in .trains IMHO.  It was a
marketing post and just like I agree with .market posts not being in the theme
groups I agree that direct LEGO marketing posts don't belong in the theme
groups.

Yes, the latest LEGO train posting might have been a marketing post, but
it's been an extremely interesting one! I have never seen an uninteresting
posting from any LD employee so far. And even it would be pure marketing,
I'd still rather read that instead of limiting the entire "official"
communications on Lugnet. By pushing TLC into a few places, you will
certainly cut down their number of postings too, just for the fact that
they'll no longer reacted to detailed questions in specific aspects. I for
one consider myself as a consumer of LEGO and I am not bothered at all to
find some advertisement here as well. In fact, isn't the entire Lugnet
website itself (even without any official presence here) already a huge blob
of free advertisement for TLC? It gives us lots of new creative ideas of how
to use their producs and makes us buying their stuff. So, to focus my
opinion once again. "I rather see LD employees posting extremely important
news in all newsgroups than limiting their 'rights' on Lugnet and
simultaneously limiting the amount of cool news they tell us. I don't see
how this can represent the spirit of Lugnet to share as much information
about LEGO as possible!!!"

However, I don't want to be the "bad guy" that makes the changes look bad.
In fact, I can duplicate a few of the things that might have ended up in
Todds decision, it's just that I don't consider those things as important as
you seem to do. And also, I am very surprised about the way/speed that Todd
has chosen to realize these changes. He didn't even allow LD employees to
portray their point of view in this news group - lugnet.admin.nntp ! As far
as I can see Jake McKee (and probably all other employees) have been
surprised about that too, so I assume (no facts here!) that Todd has not
informed LD about his plans first. As this subject is obviously so critical
(just look at the numbers of reactions and postings), why not first
'friendly' ask the employees to cut down all activities outside of .lego.*
to a minimum , so that they would still have the chance to reply to
extremely detailed important questions right within the thread *and* so that
they would still have the possibility to post here as a regular AFOL (which
has become more complicated for these persons now!). Why not checking it
that path first and after a few weeks when that demand would have failed, he
could still have taken more serious steps. I don't see any good in this
'unfriendly' manner things have happened. It doesn't put Lugnet into the
brightest light and after all it annoys the employees and might restrict
their presence much more than expected. Although these employees have posted
here for marketing reasons, I don't think that TLC is depending in that kind
of income so we should rather treat our 'guests' a little more friendly, no
matter what kind of problems they might jave caused here.

Well, Todd fooled himself pretty clearly today (quotation):

"Money.  They're a business.  Don't ever forget it."

So, as he knows that, he should also know how to treat a business. If
employees only post here in order to make money, then they might stop
posting here when we take away that possibility! As a result, TLC might
completely stop posting because of the lack of economical reasons to do so.
As they're a company they need to make money even when supporting consumers,
otherwise they will no longer that 'service' to their consumers as it's no
more economical. If TLC will loose money by informing us about news, then
they'll stop informing us - that's it - end!!!

Todd, Lugnet might have to accept some of the negative 'side effects' that
LD employees may cause here, as long as the balance is guranteed. A few
negative outcomes among lots of positive ones are still better than no score
at all.

As you said: "IT IS ALL ABOUT BUSINESS!" So think about the evolution you
have initiated again, maybe it finally turns out that you were wrong
although you have acted for a good purpose.

DON'T RISK TO LET THE COMMUNITY LOOSE ONE OF ITS MOST VALUABLE COMPONENTS !!!

If you had the choice, what would you select:
Having the train contest announced in .lego.* and .trains or rather having
no announcement at all ???

Thanks for listening !

Bye, Christian --- xTIAN.
Lugnet Member #479 -- The World is full of AFOLs !
mail: xtian@brickmaster.de web: www.brickmaster.de