 Administrative / NNTP / 390
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:04:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
Do you mean the kind of cross-org talk that happens in groups like
lugnet.org and lugnet.org.xx, or the kind that happens when someone from one
org posts in another org's group?  I don't see a reason why lugnet.org
couldn't and shouldn't still be around for cross-org talk.

[...lots of good brainstorming snipped...]

Along the lines of .org and .loc collisions, here are other thoughts that
have been brewing in my head for the past week or so...

I still worry about the length of the newsgroup names and the number of
levels (depth) of the overall hierarchy.  Every .org or .loc that appears is
another four characters to type.  Every name component in a newsgroup is an
extra click down the tree.  We don't have a plain old lugnet.loc group that
covers the entire world, so the biggest advantage of having the .loc
hierarchy is for easy filtering and searching in the .loc areas...but I
think that's kind of overrated.

I'm entertaining the idea that ".loc" could be removed from all such
newsgroup names.  In other words, "What If?"

If we did that, we could have _very_ simple newsgroup names like:

  lugnet.au
  lugnet.us
  lugnet.us.ma.bos
  lugnet.uk

On top of that, doing away with "loc" in the name automagically does away
with the strong meaning of "local" / "location" / "locality" and leaves the
namespace more flexible for more organic growth.

Axing the .org hierarchy as well (but keeping lugnet.org itself) and moving
the regional LUG groups withing their respective lugnet.xx country-based
hierarchy would also help the alleviate confusion we currently have in cases
like lugnet.org.us vs. lugnet.loc.us.

Thoughts?  (If you generally don't like the idea, please think about the
advantages versus the disadvantages for a couple days before responding.
If you generally do like the idea, please speak up now and say what you
like or don't about it.)

I like the idea, so I'm piping up now ;~).

One of the main reasons we asked for .org.au was to stop Australian
.market-style flogs from getting lost in the USian traffic. This was always
(IMHO) a fairly awkward solution, and I don't think it quite fits with the
proposed lugnet.au.

How does the following sound?

   lugnet.au:  For anything to do with LEGO and Australia, in a broad sense.
   lugnet.au.org:  Discussion of LUGs, fests and building the profile of the
LegOz community.
   lugnet.au.nsw:  (..qld, ..vic, etc) State specific news and organisation.
A place for useful but highly localised communication.
   lugnet.au.market:  Shopping news; private sales, trades and auctions
within Australia.

Some notes:
Expect crossposting between .au and .au.org like the current .loc.au,
.org.au. Committee style admin to be worked out in .au.org. Anything to do
with money or barter gets swept out of the current .org.au into the new
.au.market, leaving .au.org for  LUG/fest discussion. Shopping sales
announcements should be FUT .au.market (and .au.[State] as appropriate).
lugnet.au.market operates as a branch of lugnet.market, with crosslinking on
the webpages. Will this tidy things up or be confusing?

I would be much more likely to use .au.nsw for local notes, fest
arrangements etc. It's significantly more user friendly than .loc.au.nsw.syd.

Current addresses redirect: news.lugnet.com/loc/au/ goes to ../au/.
../org/au/ goes to ../au/org/. Does that sound right?

What would be okay in lugnet.au (by my reckoning):
   Vegemite consumption (because many .au AFOLS eat Vegemite, and yeast
paste is typically .au)
   Locally crafted clone-brand MOCs (because they're the original
constructions of .au AFOLs and building bloody big things out of sub-par
materials is typically .au)

Follow-ups as appropriate, of course. So if someone discovered that Vegemite
is a better abrasive than Brasso when it comes to cleaning bricks, that's on
topic. If someone alleges that eating Vegemite is unAustralian, that's
off-topic debate.

What would NOT be okay in lugnet.au (by my reckoning):
   Jam consumption (although many .au AFOLS eat jam, preserved fruit pulp is
eaten globally AFAIK)
   Merits of the latest clone-brand sets (although some .au AFOLs may
appreciate such merits, until they are used in a particularly Australian way
they belong to the global clone-brand community)

How does this sound?

My AUD.02 (precisely USD.01)
DaveL