 Administrative / NNTP / 316
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:28:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Ross Crawford writes:
[...]
Don't use these much anyway, but maybe .sell, .buy & .swap?

Ahhh--BINGO!  Those are *very* *nice* and *short* name components!!!

Currently we (.loc.au) can't post in the state level groups (.loc.au.vic),
only in specific city groups (.loc.au.vic.mel) which are pretty much 1 per
state ATM anyway. And not many people currently post there anyway. I think
it'd be good to keep the state groups, certainly don't need city level. Even
if we get our LUGs in the .org hierarchy (below), I think we still need
state groups in .loc for non-organisation local state stuff.

So you're saying?--deleting the super-lower-level metro groups in .loc.au
would be (possibly) a step forward but deleting the state-level groups
loc.au.xxx would be a step backward?

Can this be done like a link? Put all the groups in .org.train, but (for
instance) have a link in .train to .org.train.

A website link, yes, very easily.  For example, the .org area currently has
a crosslink to the .trains.org area:

   http://news.lugnet.com/org/

and the .trains.org area currently has a crosslink to the .org area:

   http://news.lugnet.com/trains/org/

I think this'd work for general (non-themed) LUGs as well - put them all in
.org.general (or similar), but have links to the local ones in (eg) .org.au.
Does this make sense?

Aren't all the general (non-themed) LUGs true LUGs in the normal sense of
the word -- i.e., regional user groups?

On thinking about this, .org.general would probably become fairly large.
Maybe they should be in their local .org group (eg .org.au) with links in
.org.general?

OK maybe we don't need .org.general at all - just throwing some ideas
around.

Thanks, lots more ideas is good.  I wanna keep the names as short as
possible -- so having an .org.general is probably getting too long for
comfort.  That's why it's got two-letter ISO country abbreviations now.

Also, I still think it'd be good to have lugnet.technic.classic 8?)

You mean Expert Builder or non-modern Technic?

--Todd