 Administrative / NNTP / 21 (-10)
  Web interface suggestion

Not sure if this belongs in general or in nntp (it seems like lugnet.admin.technical or somesuch might have been a better newsgroup, keeping admin.general for non-technical operational questions). I was just replying to a post with a DAT file in it, (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jun-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Derek Nold - noldd@adsmachinery.com

(...) Strictly speaking, NNTP servers don't send email. It's possible you're receiving e-mail from the SMTP server gatewayed with the NNTP server. (...) Hmm, I don't see any email addresses at 'adsmachinery.com' or anything matching 'nold' (...) (24 years ago, 29-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Derek Nold - noldd@adsmachinery.com

I am the person responsible for email accounts at adsmachinery.com. The email account, noldd@adsmachinery.com no longer exists. It seems that your nntp server is sending a large volume of email to noldd@adsmachinery.com possibly due to the fact that (...) (24 years ago, 29-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Streaming news client (Java) on Sourceforge

(...) Here's a breakdown of the user-defined preferences: userName - the user name you post with on LUGNET default: "Your Name Here" userEmail - the e-mail address you post with on LUGNET default: "your@email.address" userOrg - the Organization you (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Streaming news client (Java) on Sourceforge

Hey all, I've made semi-huge changes to my streaming news client. This new release is 0.2 Beta. (1) New stuff includes: - You can post without needing a browser; this app will use the HTTP interface for now. - More user-defined preferences, (...) (24 years ago, 18-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp) !

  (canceled)

  Re: Almost there...almost there... :-,

(...) I'm using the HTTP interface, since there is support for that protocol in the official Java libs. There is no "official" NNTP lib for Java, though there is a 3rd-party lib I will be evaluating when time permits. Then again, a minimalist NNTP (...) (24 years ago, 13-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Almost there...almost there... :-,

(...) Well, I'm actually doing it through HTTP. Todd's point about NNTP being simpler (1) has a lot of merit (and I've always wanted to write my own), but there is no standard (2) NNTP lib for Java that I know of. Not that the protocol is extremely (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Almost there...almost there... :-,

(...) cool! just wondering, are you posting through the mail interface (like I do), or is it through NNTP? (...) very cool :) I'm a bit delayed in the cleaning up past (I hate it when work gets in the way!) (...) Sure, go ahead - I don't have a (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Almost there...almost there... :-,

(...) ok, I'll ask for myself then - is it ok if I do call it LugnetReader? Since it's currently very lugnet specific, and I have no plans of expanding it further? It _can_ be done, just needs the nntp interface module written for it... But I've no (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact