 Administrative / NNTP / 209
  Out-of-office replies, mail header suggestion

Hi Todd, I received an Out-of-office reply from someone who is subscribed via LUGNET's newsgroups per mail feature. This isn't really a problem but I noticed that the header generated by LUGNET contains the following line: "Precedence: list" however (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Out-of-office replies, mail header suggestion

(...) Eeek, what brain-dead mail delivery agent sent that? (By any chance was it MS Exchange?) (...) Well, a cursory scan of various mailing list software shows that some use "bulk" and some use "list" -- i.e., they don't all use "bulk". More seem (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Out-of-office replies, mail header suggestion

(...) Yup, you're right: "X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service Version 5.5.2650.21)" (...) My guess that it should be "bulk" was shaped by other mailing list I have compared the headers from and the info I found (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Out-of-office replies, mail header suggestion

(...) The real problem is mail servers which send the "out-of-office" to the list, which on some list software which hasn't been fixed to deal with it generates a cascade of bad messages (when in addition, the mail server doesn't just send one (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Out-of-office replies, mail header suggestion

(...) There's an 'Errors-To:' header that gets set. Some MDA's and MTA's don't make use of it, but most do. --Todd (24 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)