 Administrative / NNTP / 1613
Re: Posting problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:42:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, James Wilson wrote:
Todd,
The message to which I was replying is:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/minifigs/?n=1501
and my reply is:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/minifigs/?n=1503

Thanks

maybe it's got something to do with the length of the post?  The original
post I was replying to is quite long, but I had snipped everything...
just thinking out loud...  Thanks for checking it out!

No, the length wouldn't be the issue.  If it's giving you an error message
about making sure posting setup has been done, it means the 'From' line
was somehow mangled.

Unless(!) the webserver was unable to contact the NNTP server in those
moments in which you were originally trying to post.  Do you recall it
saying anything about "Response from server: 0"?

The thing that confuses me most here is that the dead-articles file under
the hood doesn't contain any recent posting attempts from you -- and if it
were a mismatched 'From' line, it would have been thrown into that file.
Since it doesn't appear there, the only logical explanation I can think of
is that it never made it through to the NNTP server.  A response code of 0
still causes the webserver to ask you to check your posting setup, I think.

Would you mind trying the same thing again? -- doing exactly what you did
the first time -- and if it works, we can cancel it.  I'll betcha a box of
donuts that it was a short-term internal communications glitch and just a
coincidence that it accepted the post after you changed it to plain-text.

--Todd