 Administrative / NNTP / 1587
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:28:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.nntp, Frank Filz wrote:

   And what about someone under 18 who is just coming to grips with their LGBT sexuality who happens to feel like he’s finally found a community here at Lugnet that he can trust to talk about it?

And what about a parent who wishes that their children not be exposed to these types of discussions that occur in public groups on LUGNET?

For .admin.nntp: LUGNET has to abide by certain societal restrictions for the sake of liability. In that sense, John’s perfectly right.

For .o-t.debate: Screw them! Parents withholding what it means to be human by shielding their kids from reality don’t deserve the title of “parent.” Parents should not have the right to abuse their kids in that way. The hindering of the natural maturing process should be a crime.

   Do we deny that individual the opportunity to grow because sexuality is somehow an over 18 topic (never mind that sexuality is very very important to teens who are just realizing they are sexual creatures)?

Yes, for the same reason that we accommodate people who’d rather those types of topics not be included on a “kid-friendly” site like LUGNET.

Exactly! Because we live in an confused and overly-litigious society. It might very well be dangerous to LUGNET to be such a safe haven for those poor kids. They are the victims of our social mental illness.

Chris