 Administrative / NNTP / 1569
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:28:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:

<snip>

But isn't that exactly what you do when you aren't [all] inclusive of
creating [all] groups for [every] group instead of a token few?

[JOHN]

However, if certain people are uncomfortable posting in .general groups,

Uncomfortable posting {what} exactly?

"Hi!  I've made a new moc!  It's a train car and it's all rainbow coloured!
It's somethign I decided to be creative with, and I wanted a symbol of my
homosexuality."

Tell me how that would be received in .general, or .moc or anything not
.lgbt.

Well, are you talking about discomfort for the poster or the group reading
the post?  To assume that everyone in .general is a "homophobe" is a bit
extreme. If don't care for his post, he will never know about it if I post
nothing in reply.  {Anyone} can be encouraging of a gay; what a spurious
thing to imply that {only} GLBTers would post approvingly!  In fact, if
someone {did} post a negative comment, I'm sure that {many} would rush to
condemn that person and the original poster might even feel {more} affirmed
as a result than if he had just posted to "the choir".

[JOHN]

Whereas I agree with the sentiment, as in 'Wouldn't it be nice if we all could
just... get along...'--a real world example:

People compartmentalize all the time.  I rarely talk about my LEGO hobby to
folks at work, with family and friends, and only talk about LEGO if they bring
it up first, because I've noticed that when someone goes on and on about
something that isn't 'mainstream', people get uncomfortable or just annoyed.

So a 'Dave Prime Directive' policy is to talk about my passion for LEGO building
with folks that appreciate the hobby with me--basically all of you--I
compartmentalize most of my talking of LEGO to here.  It makes sense--if people
don't want to talk LEGO, why should I subject them to said conversations.

Moreover, again the idea of admonishing hurtful and spiteful posts would be a
good thing (tm), there are those that are not as secure to involve themselves in
such a firestorm in the first place.  Should these people not have a
'compartment' so they can discuss the joys of their chosen hobby?  I use other
NG's as an example--some MG's have a special section for 'flame wars'--they let
the user know, in no uncertain terms, that, on posting, "flame resistant gear"
will be needed.  Those that don't wish, or who are insecure, to partake in said
discussions, cna stay away.

Much like the .lgbt group--those that don't wish to read  posts from those that
partake in this lifestyle can easily filter them out.  Those that don't want
much controversy if they are in such a lifestyle, can post in .lgbt without,
hopefully, starting an avalanche of posts.

To me, it's a win-win.

Dave K