 Administrative / NNTP / 1542
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:41:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Smith wrote:

Some have suggested that sexual orientation has no business being openly discussed on LUGNET. This opinion is quite respectable, but it does not recognize that sexual orientation is as much an identifying aspect of life for some people as, say, religion or occupation or hobbies are for others.

Some have suggested that certain religious beliefs are being actively ignored, and that allowing the creation of an LGBT group, which openly embraces a lifestyle that is counter to those beliefs, is disrespectful to those beliefs. The fact is that while LUGNET respects all religious beliefs, it is also religion-neutral. Thus, religous beliefs play no role here in determining whether or not the creation of an LGBT group is warranted.

So if LUGNET is religion neutral, why can’t it be sexually neutral too? If you don’t see a need for a religious-oriented group, it follows that there’s no need for this type of group either.

You talk about how people can simply not look at this stuff, but there is a problem. We tell parents at our shows about LUGNET. The first time they come visit the highlighted articles on the home page are talking about LGBT rubbish. I certainly wouldn’t want that to be the first thing people see when they visit. LUGNET has always been a safe place to discuss LEGO topics without the fear of running into something that many people would rather just avoid. I’m afraid that’s no longer possible with the addition of these severely off-topic groups.

There’s something to be said for not having sexuality thrown in your face in every single place you go these days. This site used to be a place where people could set that stuff aside and just build stuff. Apparently the politically correct have invaded LUGNET, as well.

man, oh man, have you crystalized my thoughts! i agree with everything you have just said. lugnet is just another facet of e-society (or society, for that matter) that the homosexual agenda has permeated (as if we are not bombarded with it enough through the media). good point on the “religion-neutral” issue as well. if lugnet is going to allow this “lavender brick” rubbish, then why don’t we start an “anti-lavender brick” in .people? that way, if anyone calls us “homophobic” or any other label, we can just say “because of compartmentalization, one can always pick and choose the groups one wishes to read and participate primarily in”. free speech? please, there’s no such thing!

jason