 Administrative / NNTP / 1514
Re: Louisiana bans gay marriages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:45:47 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.people.lgbt, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.people.lgbt, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

I'm sorry, but what does a skip-filter have to do with the main message scroll?
If one could skip-filter it, then why would the off-topic forum be filtered out
by the system itself?

This is in regards to the main new message scroll that on-line users see in the
news main area, and doesn't apply to those who only get their Lugnet messages
via email.  Given the statements of many of those that wanted the lgbt forum, I
thought they would prefer to not have it on the main scroll.  If .lgbt contains
both on and off-topic material, I can see why by default its messages would
appear on the main scroll.  Anyway, it was a question for Todd and he can handle
it however he likes, I was just curious about the policy.

-->Bruce<--

I'm curious too. Gay marriage as a topic, not related to LEGO at all, should go
in off-topic.debate IMHO.

To be honest I think this topic would fall under the "acceptance issues" portion
the group's carter and therefore be on topic for this group.

-Orion
FUT to off-topic.debate

Whatever occurs outside of 'off-topic' is supposed to be 'on-topic' to the focus
of the site (LEGO). If this group itself is _not_ 'off-topic,' than all
discussion should somehow revolve around LEGO. So far I haven't seen this thread
tie in to LEGO, so IMO it is off-topic.

The only on-topic (LEGO-related) post in the thread had nothing to do with the
thread (it arguably should have been in its own separate thread in the group).

-Tim

PS - Moved to admin.general and admin.nntp.