 Administrative / NNTP / 1378
1377  |  1379
Subject:
FTX courtesy to NNTP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.space, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:12:42 GMT

As more of a newsreader user, incorrectly formatted FTX code on LUGNET has
been troubling me lately.  Non NNTP users might not realize, but FTX code
formatted like the link below is a pain for NNTP users to just click on and
be directed to you link or even see your thumbnail image.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Sculpture/cigarette.jpg<http://www
.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Misc/thumbs/ciggy.jpg Cigarette>>

my NNTP reader (outlook,) freaks out at this and always returns an error
that the page cannot be displayed which forces me to have to cut the link in
the browser and pray I cut the right parts out.

The obviously correct format for this is only one simple stroke of the space
bar in the middle of the code that is even indicated on the LUGNET FTX
guide.

This example shows properly formatted FTX code that can be read in an NNTP
reader fairly easily without any major cutting or pasting.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Sculpture/cigarette.jpg
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/elkane/Misc/thumbs/ciggy.jpg Cigarette>>

I wonder if  it would it be possible for LUGNET to add a script that makes
this correction automatically or suggests this simple change to the poster
in case they have made this mistake, in a similar way that posters are
reminded that it is courteous to pen thier reply at the bottom of a post vs.
the top?

-tk.