 Administrative / NNTP / 1329
Re: Badges, buttons, and the like...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 04:40:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Tim Courtney wrote:
Maybe that's my haywire mouse - the wiring's a bit screwy in it.

Has it done weird stuff before?  Like on your desktop?

Isn't/wasn't there a double-posting filter?

Ya, there is, but if the second HTTP POST comes in before the first one
has had a chance to stuff a copy of the article in the "recently posted"
area, then the test for duplicity in the second one would result in a
false negative.  It really ought to use a short-term locking mechanism
(like a short-term mutex) to prevent this sort of anomaly.  It was
designed to catch accidental re-clickings of the form button seconds or
minutes or hours apart, but not within the same fraction of a second...
sorry about the mess.

--Todd