 Administrative / NNTP / 1246 (-20)
  Re: quoted-printable support

(...) On the well-behaved e-mail clients, yes. On the worse clients, they jam a whole paragraph into a single line. I saw one which resulted in a line 890 characters long.(!) (...) I agree -- a hideously long line is better than one that's full of (...) (21 years ago, 20-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: quoted-printable support

(...) Yes, that's what I meant. (...) It's usually at a line break, though, isn't it? And even so it is better than what is currently displayed; further refinements could be made to make it better yet... Or just let the browser do the word wrapping (...) (21 years ago, 19-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: quoted-printable support

(...) Adding a second newline? You mean $body =~ s/=\n/\n/g or $body =~ s/=$//m ? Any of those would break words in half. (The = at the end isn't guaranteed to occur at a line break.) --Todd (21 years ago, 18-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: quoted-printable support

(...) I think s/=$/\n/ would be adequate for that case. You could always improve it later. --Bill. (21 years ago, 18-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: quoted-printable support

(...) Heh heh, funny you should mention that... Last night I was just thinking about this again and am 98% ready to deploy a fix. I've really noticed the increase in these posts lately too (especially coming in through the News-by-Mail gateways). A (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Renaming Gaming group

(...) Shweet! :) What I think is totally cool, and Todd hasn't even mentioned, is that member web pages got automagically updated too! Brick Battles is still under the .gaming hierarchy, even though that hierarchy has moved. Thanks for saving me (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.gaming)

  Re: A Change

(...) Awwww, but it'd be extreamly difficult for Todd to acknowledge every post sent in his direction! I understand exactly what you're asking Bill, but to hope/expect that Todd will comply and answer is a bit much to ask IMHO! :) --==Richard==-- (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Well, you could run two separate NNTP servers, one that requires login and one that doesn't. --Bill. (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

If you are a paid member, you can post all you like using the web interface without email authentication. Only NNTP/email users require the email authentication if they are paid members. --Bill. (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Todd is back [ was: Re: A Change ]

(...) Feels that way to us too. I for one am glad. --Bill. (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general)

  Re: A Change

(...) Please note that it is impossible for us to know whether you have seen a post and are pondering it, or whether you missed it. A short acknowledgement of receipt for suggestions made would be a big help in this situation... --Bill. (21 years ago, 12-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) <Playful-Sarcasm On> Ohhhhhhh, I see... What a big difference! ;) <Playful-Sarcasm Off> Sorry I didn’t know such clarity was needed! (Oups, didn’t completely turn Off the sarcasm) I jus’ assumed that someone would need to hear/read the post (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Ah, but you have to understand that most forums (and whether you think of LUGNET as a forum or not, most newcomers are introduced to it via the web archive, which reads like a more traditional form) require that you sign up as a member prior (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) Well, do you think "to be heard" is the same as "to get a response"? 'Cause it's not. There's often a lot of perfectly good reasons for there to be a lag between the two. The "*" for emphasis was meant to highlight the distinction between the (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

(...) Troy, I could be wrong but my understanding of the way NNTP authentication & authorization works is that it's session-based rather than message-based or function-based. That is, I think when you require a username and password at login, when (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: A Change

"Dave Johann" <legomecha@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:HEL9DL.1u1G@lugnet.com... (...) that (...) last (...) And what still turns me off from using the web interface is the inability to track which messages I have read already in a reliable (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: Renaming Gaming group

(...) Sure (...) It's easier to move 2 or 3 groups at once than separately. . . . what remapping would you suggest? --Todd (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Renaming Gaming group

(...) Very cool! Any chance you'd consider moving lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw to lugnet.cad.org.ldraw? I realize it's only 4 characters, but making this change would: a. Align the ldraw group with other <topic>.org groups. b. Get the LDraw.org group (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: A Change

(...) Ya, there seems to be a growing misunderstanding of what the word "member" and "membership" means on LUGNET. Back in '97 and '98, very few sites had "members" or "accounts" or even any kind of personal configuration. And a lot of people coming (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: A Change

(...) I certainly did. I can't recall how many people told me what I understood as "you don't have to pay for membership", but the member sign-up page clearly stated that there was a $10 minimum. (...) It sounds like that specific concern is at the (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact