 Administrative / NNTP / 1111
Re: new newsgroup lugnet.inst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:03:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, William R. Ward writes:
Ugh, I really don't think this is a very intuitive name.  Why not
lugnet.instructions?

Good question.

Ok, why lugnet.build.arch on LUGNET?  Why not lugnet.building.architecture?

Why comp.arch.storage on USENET?  Why not computers.architecture.storage?

Well, in choosing newsgroup names, there's a long tradition (going back 20+
years on USENET (comp=>computers, lang=>language, rec=>recreation, etc.) and
4 years here on LUGNET) that the names be brief, for a number of reasons.
As you point out below, at least one of those reasons is less important
nowadays than it once was, but the overall length of a newsgroup name is
still a pertinent issue, especially considering subgroup expansion, and hence
the tradition.  It's a rule of thumb, not a hard rule.

I doubt anybody is using a newsreader that's so
old you have to actually type the names of the newsgroups.

Even in the Followup-To header?  :-)  Or crossposting?

There are *soo* many words that either start with or can reasonably be
abbreviated "inst"...

I did a search the other day and was surprised to find that the biggie root
words seemed to be only four:  install, institute, instruct, and instrument.

I'm sure it's possible to find similar fault with the following abbreviations,
but they work in practice:

   lugnet.build.arch
   lugnet.cad.dev
   lugnet.db.inv
   lugnet.edu
   lugnet.org
   lugnet.robotics.tele

An exception to the general shorten-as-much-as-reasonably-possible rule of
thumb is something like lugnet.publish.photography.  That didn't get shortened
to lugnet.publish.photo because we wanted it to be clear that it's about the
art/craft/techniques of photography and not a binary group to post photos in
(although it's certainly fine to post a link to a photo and discuss its
technical/artistic merits).

--Todd