 Administrative / General / 9690
Re: New LUGNET Admins
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 23:40:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Dave Johann writes:

WOOHOO!!!! Not THAT would be a useful item here at LUGNET. Far better than
Brickshelf's instructions database that is updated through 1997. Knowing what
parts are in sets helps me decide what to buy and I know I'm not the only one
who uses peeron in this fashion.

Do you remember what it was like before the scan archive?  If it's really
not all that useful anymore I could take it down and save a few Mbit/s :)

Seriously, the instructions and set inventories have very little functional
overlap.  Those together combined with the metadata in the Lugnet DB, make
an amazingly useful and complete set of information we could only dream
a few years ago.  Linking the Peeron inventories from the Lugnet set
pages is long, long overdue.

Also, the archive includes scans throught 1998, and 1999 will
be included early next year.  Of course if you are trying to find
out what elements are in current sets then the set inventories will
be much more useful.

KL

Actually, Kevin, I do remember...and thanks! The scans were incredibly useful to
me at one time, as I'm sure they are useful to others now. I do check them from
time to time, as I haven't memorized them yet. :) They were most useful in
assembling a couple of my original sets from 1975 or so that I've since lost the
instructions to. For that, I am eternally grateful to the archive.

Please don't think I was slamming the functionality of the scan archive...I
wasn't. I just didn't see why 1998 coulndn't be tacked on now that it's almost
2002. I'm glad to see that the archive will be updated, as there are some lots
I've picked up that don't have instructions and I'd love to see if they are
complete.

Once again, I apologize if my post came across the wrong way. It wasn't meant as
an insult. I was merely trying to point out that set inventories are more useful
for the majority of us these days.

-Dave (who shudders when he thinks of the pre-archive days)