 Administrative / General / 960
Re: Oops! Stopping a cross-posting thread
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:36:08 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com> writes:

Todd,

I think I caused a little faux-pas.  I responded to someone's posting in
lugnet.general, and since I felt it was something for the FAQ,
cross-posted to lugnet.faq.

Now anyone who does a respond-all will post a message to both groups,
when it would most likely be applicable to just one.

Hindsight being an exact science, I realize I should've probably set the
followup-to to lugnet.general.  (1)  However, now that it's already
happened, is there any way I can correct my mistake?

If you catch the "mistake" earlier enough, you can go back and cancel the
article after you see it appear, then re-post the corrected version.

In this case, since someone has already replied, you wouldn't want to go back
and cancel it or else the threading and references would be all messed up.

So there's no way at this point to back and fix the original, but if you or
anyone else happens to post any more followups, you can still change either the
'Newsgroups' or 'Followup-To' headers (or both) in order to affect that new
messages and any subsequent messages beneath it.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Another question:  How can I set the followup-to when posting a
message via e-mail?

If your e-mail app supports setting the 'Reply-To' field to an arbitrary value
on a message-by-message basis, you can set the 'Reply-To' header on your
message to lugnet.xyz@lugnet.com to set the 'Followup-To' field of your post to
lugnet.xyz.  Alternatively, you can even set the 'Followup-To' field directly
if your e-mail app supports it.  Netscape Communicator 4.5, for example,
supports both 'Reply-To' and 'Followup-To' on a case-by-case basis in e-mail
messages.