 Administrative / General / 9440
Re: I think we stepped in something.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 00:41:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Kyle D. Jackson writes:

I would hate to think that LUGNET, a site devoted to a bunch of
people who like LEGO, could end up being accused of not being
tolerant and understanding of those with special needs.  Remember,
in written communication the poster can conceal every single
difference that may bring prejudice from others except
one: their mind, with its various limitations.

Is special treatment warranted, or even wanted?

I've been thinking about this.  My jury is still out on this
one..., in other words I'm wimping out on forming an opinion  ;]
In general I believe everybody should get the same treatment.
However sometimes, specifically if it will help the person in
question, special treatment might not be such a bad thing.

Chicken 8?P (Like I'm not doing the same thing? I'll try to form one now,
here...)

I personally don't care what might be wrong with someone...not in the
callous way (which many folks might take it in)...I mean it in the most
tolerant way possible...I just couldn't care less if someone has something
"wrong" with them, because in type, for the most part, it just doesn't apply.

I guess the point I was gunning for wasn't about physical
disabilities, like the ones you exampled.  I meant mental issues.
Those are apparent in type.  You're right, the others (physical)
are a non-issue.  The mental issues may not be changeable by that
person, i.e., they can't help it.  That was where I was aiming.

I know...I was just making extreme, general (and well known) cases...

Think about this...my 2 year old daughter can PLAY with the computer, but
she'll need to be able to communicate in writing before she can USE
something like LUGNET...anyone who is capable of searching for LUGNET on the
Web, signing up for posting priveleges and actually posting a message to a
specific group isn't really all that hampered in their actions, right? Those
actions take a pretty capable mind (regardless of what might be said to be
wrong with that mind). If the posts are
rambling/trolling/incoherent/rude/whatever, the community will (and has!)
point out behaviors that are unwelcome and try to steer the poster to a more
acceptable way of posting. I think that is probably the end-all-and-be-all
of LUGNETs responsibility to the individual...to try...and we all do (and
have!).

Hmmm..., I wonder if I'm advocating "all people are created
equal..., some are just more equal than others"  ;]

I don't think so...there is nothing wrong with caring, so please keep it up...

I'm just saying that, at most, it ought to be up to the individual to
request special treatment if they feel it is warranted.

Asking LUGNET admin to police the groups, request "parent-admin
conferences", or make special symbols/colors/whatever to single people out
so they get treated differently by the other posters just isn't viable or
right. How much time would you have Suzanne and Todd take making sure
everyone is treated according to their current mental state? Look especially
at Frank's post...the poster and their caretakers are responsible for her
actions...and that's the way it should be (IMO).

Matt