 Administrative / General / 9157
9156  |  9158
Subject:
Length of lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 12:57:02 GMT

I see a lot of posts with long lines.  Typically around 75-80.  The
problem with these is that when people quote them, they become even
longer, and eventually they are broken by some clients.

A common rule on USENET is to keep the line length below 72 when
composing an article.  Now, LUGNET is not USENET, but it uses the same
transfer mechanism (NNTP), and some people use the same kind of
clients to access the posts.

Where do the posts with so long lines come from?  Does the web
interface break lines at 80, for example?  (No, I don't use it.)  If
it does, would it be a good idea to cut this down to 72, so that fewer
posts are generated with long lines, and the problem with broken
quotation is avoided?

Fredrik