 Administrative / General / 9120
Re: Need to retrieve my password... Help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:38:19 GMT

In lugnet.people, Sid Dinsay writes:
Okay, I tried this in lugnet.faq, but it looks like mine was the first fresh
posting there in WEEKS... so I thought I would try this here...

I'm logging on to LUGNET at work (during lunch breaks, of course!) and I'm
trying to find a way to retrieve my password.  I lost that little card that
Todd sent along with my membership kit!  Does anyone know how I can do this?

I don't believe there is a way to "retrieve" your password. Even Todd
doesn't know what a user password, in general, is. I don't know if he keeps
records of the initial passwords but I would be surprised. I am almost
certain he does not keep records of the passwords that users add and change.

All is not lost, though. The system allows multiple passwords.

Search through admin.general (where I set Follow Up To (FUT) ) and you will
find discussion on how to get a new, additional password. You can then go
into password maintenance and add still another one that you remember, and
delete the generated one. I believe you can have 4 passwords.

There is also a way to have the system flush all passwords.

See this screen
http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/pw/

You DO need to have one password that you know in order to use it. Usually
sending Todd mail is the best way to get one if you have NONE.

And a word to the wise... don't have just one password, and don't have just
the one printed on the card. Choose one you remember, add it, and choose
another one and add it too. Periodically go through the exercise of trying
to remember all your passwords and make sure they work. If you can't
remember all of them, but CAN remember one, flush and start over using the
one you remember.

Or just do what i do which is keep them written down in a text file in an
easy to find place on your PC so you can find them when you need them. But
having only one system generated password is a bad idea.

FUT admin.general

++Lar