 Administrative / General / 9117
Re: Robert: Just another Troll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mad Hatter/Matthew Moulton/Robert Bevins forges my
name to say:

<snip>

I mean
you people really don't have any clue as to what you almost did to
your own group about 6 months ago

OK, clue us in.

If I had seemed to get along with you all more the chances that many
of my pathetic obsessives would attack this forum would have been VERY
high.  A good example of that is alt.hackers.malicious, which I am a
reg, but secretly now.  We had to make it look like all the other regs
hated me so all the attackers would stop screwing up the group.  It
worked out pretty well, although there is still some shit still going
on there.

So you had to make everyone think you were a jerk because you attract lamers
like you that attack stuff, but secretly you're actually a nice guy who is
on the side of the angels? Ok, got it.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Forgive me if I'm a bit dubious as to the
magnitude of the threat. Personally I don't think it was much of a stretch
for you to fake your jerk persona.

Yes, I can see why you think you're terribly clever, you've demonstrated two
things...

- you can stir people up
- you can forge posts

And I thank you for reminding us of your L33T S|<1lL5. So I guess we'll all
be looking at posts a bit more carefully to see if they're really from who
they say they are. But stirring people up is no big trick, nor is forging
posts. (granted, they are a BIT above your standard trick, babbling)

Todd's pretty clever too. I'm sure that he can keep you out, no matter what
persona you assume, if he wants to. It may mean more inconvenience for the
rest of us but if that's the price (changing LUGNET from an honor system to
one which requires identity verification for all posts), I'll pay, gladly,
to be shut of you and your ilk.

...and then he will have won. Leave him alone, he'll go away.

Scott A

How typical of you, though, to make him expend that development effort.

Earlier I said I wouldn't participate in such conjecture, and I won't.
You can ban me just as much as you like, however I think I've proved
just how futile that can be.  I can make the process even more of a
burden for you if I like, however I really don't want to ever resort
to that.  Think it over, and swallow your pride, that is your best
option.

This is a threat, right? Just checking.

The choices are, we put up with your flaunting the ToS and ill manners or
you wreck things for everyone, right? If you think those are the only
choices I'd check your assumptions were I you.

++Lar