 Administrative / General / 9104
Re: April Fools posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:49:39 GMT

I understand, and I don't know if it is worth bothering about either.

Every post to Lugnet is not a personal communication between two people; it is an announcement to the entire community, or at least
the subset that monitors the newsgroup. Before committing a post, the author should be thinking, "How will this be received by
everyone: new readers, non-US citizens, children ..."  You're right, Frank, it sets the tone. But some posters don't care.

There's no minimum age requirement for Lugnet posters, nor any requirement that they be mature or civil. Some have an axe to grind.
Others can't be bothered to see an issue from any point of view but their own. And some people just don't see anything wrong with
writing and mailing off the top of their head.

Personally, I'm happy to show my MOCs in person to other AFOLs, with no regard to their state of completion -- or share my equally
half-baked ideas in person. But I would never consider posting these to Lugnet. It's interesting that very few posters, even the
most inflammatory, are as quick to show their half-baked MOCs as quickly as their half-baked notions.

Cary

<snip>

No. Please try and understand what my point is. My point is that the
community as a whole will set the tone here. That tone may turn some
people off. So be it. I just want people to understand that there are
people turned off by the trend of Lugnet's tone. I'll also grant that
some of those folks are people turned off by the idea that Lugnet might
be sterilized of all jokes and pranks. I don't want that. What I want is
people to consider the impact of their posts, and acknowledge that they
may upset some people, and to try not to get upset when someone does get
upset at a post.

I'm beginning to wonder why I bother any more though.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com