 Administrative / General / 9099
Re: April Fools posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:38:52 GMT

Frank Filz at ffilz@mindspring.com wrote:

But never tell anyone what they should find funny,

I agree completely.

and be careful in
complaining about what people don't find funny.

Be careful in complaining about what people DO find funny.

I'm not sure how I feel
about your joke because I didn't get to read it untainted, perhaps I
would have found it funny. What soured that whole incident for me was
that folks who got sucked into the joke were put down for being
concerned about your leaving the community.

I assume you're referring to Eric's comment:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=6959

Eric's comment wasn't intended as a put-down. There was much confusion about
the use of the term "sucker" or "suckered." Unfortunately, you're still
referring to it as a put-down, even after Eric has specifically stated that
it wasn't so:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=9052

To me that makes Lugnet very
unfun if compassion is looked on as a stupid thing.

Once again, Eric never intended his comment to be an insult, or to say that
someone's compassion was stupid. This is yet another example of one of those
things that gets blown all out of proportion because someone takes offense
at something and it snowballs from there.

In my opinion, the danger to the community is the overreaction to the
misinterpretation. It's been discussed before my joke came along that all
the overreacting is a bad thing, and yet it continues.

Is our solution to sterilize all of our posts? I'd hate to see that happen.

~Mark P. "No I'm not kidding" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego