 Administrative / General / 9012
Re: Donate a server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:29:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Todd - any comment on this?

-Tim

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:GA9KH1.8uM@lugnet.com...
Hey I was just chatting with someone and I thought of something...

What if we, as individuals, chipped in to buy LUGNET another server?  Todd,
is this something you would welcome?  What would be issues with the purchase
& installation of a new box?  Would this open up the possibility of
third-party contributions to the LUGNET site?

Just curious...

-Tim

If I might piggyback some additional questions on Tim's post:

Are there any specific things that LUGNET could use that would be
a great help as a donation?  Money is always great.  But some LUGNETers
who may not be able to contribute money may be able to help with some
other goodies, like hardware, etc., that they may have access to.

For those with money, perhaps there are things that we can buy directly
and donate to LUGNET and get a better deal than Todd and Suzanne
could by spending donated cash themselves.  It may also be more
preferable if LUGNET received non-cash donations from a tax point of
view..., I really don't know how things work there.

Regarding Tim's question, is LUGNET hurting for server power right
now?  I know there's been recent changes to the search engine and
sets database because of server load, but are things actually
getting into the "marginal" realm?

If it were possible, rather than donating hardware to LUGNET I'd
rather get Todd some little minions to help out with the work.  Y'know,
some munchkins who can relieve Todd of all the day-to-day annoying
details such as when people email him saying:
- "Taaawd..., the web interface is busted..."
- "Taaawd..., So-and-So called me a 'munchkin'..."
- "Taaawd..., I accidentally deleted everyone else's posts, again..."

:]

Is is time to add newsgroups to the .admin.finance heirarchy?  I've
seen a bunch of topics sprouting up lately regarding LUGNET support.

Thanx,
KDJ

P.S. "Taaawd" is meant to be phonetic, and implies "Todd", plus all
variants such as "--Todd", "++Todd", "==Todd", and the yet to
be witnessed "ToddToddTodd".

:]
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada