 Administrative / General / 9011
Re: Donate a server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:06:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
What if we, as individuals, chipped in to buy LUGNET another server?  Todd,
is this something you would welcome?

Assuming it would go under a lugnet.com subdomain and run a variant of Unix,
I would welcome it with open arms.  I wouldn't be opposed to an W2K box
someday if it was a third.

What would be issues with the purchase & installation of a new box?

Issues would include initial and sustinence payments for hardware,
bandwidth, electricity, etc.; ownership, licensing, access, disclosure of
code, data, etc.; management of login accounts, disk space, etc.; third-
party colocation contract restrictions, DNS setup issues, etc.

Would this open up the possibility of third-party contributions to the
LUGNET site? Just curious...

It would make it significantly easier.

--Todd