 Administrative / General / 8985
Re: Favorite Icon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:19:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
SRC wrote in message ...
I like the way the LUGNet icon appears in my favorites listing
(for a LUGNet bookmark) instead of the usual Internet Explorer icon.
Very slick - kudos to Todd.

Ahh, so it's working across the board now?  Great!  I made it a long time
ago, and we always wanted to have one, but I never could figure out how to
get it to work until recently.  (I'm not a complete idiot; I just had a lot
of trouble with MSIE not re-fetching the new favicon.ico file on updates and
I finally figured out how to clear the icon cache for testing.)

You too can have this happen if you put an icon called "Favicon.ico" in the
root directory of your website. IE always looks for it.

Ya, check out <http://www.favicon.com/> for more details and links.  It's
a pretty nifty web-browser feature, except for the fact that it uses
Microsoft's ewwey ICO format instead of something more general like PNG or
GIF that would be more likely to be picked up by other browser vendors.
But, ah, well, I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

--Todd

p.s.  I try to imagine that we're not supporting Microsoft by doing this,
but supporting AFOLs.  Say, anyone know if Mozilla supports a similar type
of feature?